Going online lets you keep learning, connect with friends and family and play games. Just as you fasten your seat belt before driving, take precautions before using the Internet to be sure you are safe and secure. The first step is to STOP.THINK.CONNECT.: take safety measures, think about the consequences of your actions and connect knowing you have taken steps to safe guard your self when online.
STOP. THINK. CONNECT., in partnership with Cyber-Seniors, wants to make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable experience while online. We have a few tips that will help as you learn how to use new technology.
PERSONAL INFORMATION IS LIKE MONEY. VALUE IT. PROTECT IT.
- Lock your devices, like you tablet and phone:You lock the front door to your house, and you should do the same with your devices. Use strong passwords to lock your tablet and phone.Securing your devices keep spryingeyesout and can help protect your information incase your device sare lost or stolen.
- Thinkbeforeyouact:Ignoreemailsorcommunicationsthatcreateasenseofurgency and require you to respond to a crisis, such as a problem with your bank account or taxes.Thistypeofmessageislikelyascam.
- When in doubt, throw it out: Clicking on links in emails is often how bad guys get access toper sonal information.If an email looks weird, even if you know the person whos entit, it’s best to delete.
- Make passwords strong: A strong password is a sentence that is at least 12 characterslong.Focusonpositivesentencesorphrasesthatyouliketothinkabout andareeasytoremember(for example,“I love country music.”).Onmanysites,you can even use spaces!
- Write it down and keep it safe: Everyone can forget a password. Keep a list that’s stored in a safe, secure place away from your computer
SHARE WITH CARE
- What you post will last forever: Be aware that when you post a picture or message online, you may also be inadvertently sharing personal details withs trangers about your sel fand family members– like where you live.
- Post only about others as you would like to have them post about you: The golden rule applieson line as well.
- Own your on line pre sense: It’s OK to limit who can see your information and what you share. Learn about and use privacy and security settings on your favorite websites.
About STOP. THINK.CONNECT.
STOP. THINK. CONNECT. is the first – ever coordinated message to help all digital citizens stay safer and more secure online. The message was created by an unprecedented coalition of companies, nonprofits and government organizations. In 2009, the Anti Phishing Working Group and National Cyber Security Alliance led the effort to find a unified online safety message that could be adapted across public and private sectors. The is to help every one under stand the risks and benefits that come with using the Internet.
Building on the award – winning documentary “Cyber-Seniors” and the high school community service project that insprised it, the Cyber-Seniors non-profit organization and Connecting Generations campaign encourages tech savvy you to share their knowledge by mentoring older adults.
For information on Cyber-Seniors and the Connecting Generations campaign please visit www.cyberseniorsdocumentary.com
About Waterdog Computer Works
Located in Devon, Pa, Waterdog Computer Works is a complete IT solutions and cybersecurity provider serving businesses throughout Main Line Philadelphia. Focused and responsive, Waterdog Computer Works offers a two-hour emergency response time guarantee, no-risk contracts and a team of technicians with over 75 years of combined experience. Call us at 484.352.4380 to speak to a member of our team.